Religious life (850 Subjects)
Costume of nun inspired from Greek vases and architectural features of ancient temples.
Costume of young monk inspired from Greek vases and architectural features of ancient temples.
Frontispiece. Dance scene before the altar of goddess Artemis.
1. The mausoleum of Manuel I of Portugal at the Convent of the Order of Christ, Tomar, Portugal. 2. The sarcophagus of Manuel I of Portugal. 3. Water-douching tool used for the cleaning of cannons. 4. Banana tree.
18. Map of Alexandria. 19. Turban of a mufti. 20, 21. Drawing on the movement of the planets, accompanying the author's analysis of Galilee's theory.
24. Mount Horeb. 25. Monastery near Mount Moses, Egypt, which the author calls “Monastery of the Burning Bush”. 26. View of the Sphinx at Giza necropolis, Cairo. 28. Church near Cairo. 29. The Pyramids of Giza. Graves in Ottoman cemetery of Cairo. 31. The rock of Meribah on Mount Choreb. 32. Mount Sinai with the monastery of Saint Catherine and Mount Moses.
33. View of Mount Sinai with the Monastery of Saint Catherine (in the background, on the right). In the centre, Mount Moses. In the foreground, a monastery near Mount Sinai, styled by the author “The Monastery of the Burning Bush”.
34. Fish of Egypt. 35. Orthodox priest wearing Easter vestments. 36. Decoration of the staff of an Orthodox priest. 31. The Church of the Virgin of the Apparition on Mount Horeb. 32. Water pump, part of water mill near Mount Sinai. 33 Azyme (unfermented) bread.
36. Panoramic view of Jerusalem. 37. The tombs of Josaphat, Absalon and Zechariah at Kidron Valley, Jerusalem. 38. Remains of monumental building on the Mount of Olives where, according to tradition, Jesus prayed before his arrest. View of the Tombs of the Kings outside Jerusalem. The tomb of Absalom at Kidron Valley. The castle of Yaffa.
View of the castle of Heliopolis (Baalbek) in Lebanon, with the temple of Zeus in the background. Architectural and decorative features from the temple of Zeus in Baalbek. Dervish and Muslim holy man.